Motorola Unveils New Android Devices That Bridge the Gap Between Work and Play
Showcased this week at CTIA Enterprise & Applications™, Motorola’s broad portfolio of smartphones and accessories gives consumers and businesses more flexibility and more options
Oct. 05, 2010
SAN FRANCISCO – CTIA – Oct. 5, 2010 - Today Motorola, Inc. (NYSE: MOT) announced several new Android™-based smartphones, providing consumers and business IT departments greater choices and flexibility when selecting devices that meet their needs. New Bluetooth® accessories featuring MotoSpeak™ 2.0 also deliver the ultimate hands-free experience to consumers who are on the go and looking to maximize their productivity.
Motorola’s new portfolio addresses the needs of an evolving smartphone market to offer a range of designs, experiences and solutions – available across multiple wireless carriers. Motorola’s latest introductions highlight the company’s position as the driving force in Android adoption and reinforce the company’s focus on developing intuitive products that support consumers’ on-the-go lifestyle and business needs.
Motorola’s portfolio of devices and accessories will be showcased this week at CTIA Enterprise & Applications™ 2010 in San Francisco (Moscone West, Booth No. 221).
“The mobile landscape at work has changed. Employees and IT departments have made it clear that they want other options and solutions,” said Alain Mutricy, Senior Vice President, Portfolio and Device Product Management, Motorola Mobility, Inc. “Today’s announcement underscores that Motorola provides the most comprehensive line up of smartphones for consumers and business. We don’t take a one-size-fits-all approach. Motorola sees a market opportunity by empowering people with choices over the single device that will meet their needs for work and play.”
CITRUS™, SPICE™, BRAVO™, FLIPSIDE™, FLIPOUT™, and DEFY™: the Next Generation of Smartphone Users
Nielsen projects that by the end of 2011, one out of every two Americans will own a smartphone*. To appeal to this next generation of smartphone users, Motorola is expanding its Android lineup giving consumers a range of designs and features that keep up with their on-the-go lifestyle.
CITRUS delivers all the benefits of a full-featured smartphone in a compact and affordable device.
- Full HTML Web browser delivers a PC-like Web browsing experience with quick access to Web apps and services such as Facebook®; Google services such as Gmail™, Google Talk™ and YouTube™
- The full capacitive touch screen display delivers fluid flick, swipe and pinch-to-zoom navigation. It also enables an easy-to-use, on-screen QWERTY keyboard (available in landscape and portrait modes) for quick messaging
- Equipped with BACKTRACK™, a touch panel located on the back of the device that enables users to navigate and scroll through websites, home screens, e-mails, music and more without obstructing the display
- Take customization to the next level with seven home screen panels that can be tailored with a host of available shortcuts, applications, and preloaded widgets, or download from the thousands of applications available from Android Market™.
SPICE is a perfectly packaged smartphone with a full QWERTY keyboard and the power of Android™.
- Provides a large capacitive touchscreen with multi-touch support and pinch-to-zoom, along with BACTRACK™ for one-handed use.
- Features Motorola’s new exclusive Flashback application allowing consumers to view and manage their content all from a single application.
BRAVO is a big-screen, touch tablet smartphone with a slim design.
- Features a 3.7-inch full WVGA touch screen experience, enhanced Web-browsing and entertainment while on the go.
- Equipped with a 3-megapixel camera with digital zoom and auto focus, so users can catch memorable moments and share with one-touch social media uploads to Facebook®, MySpace, Picasa™ and PhotoBucket®.
- BRAVO is a Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA®) enabled device, so users can stream, store and share entertainment with multiple devices around the home - including PCs, TVs and other mobile devices using an existing home Wi-Fi network.
- Powered by an 800 MHz processor.
FLIPSIDE enables users to seamlessly manage their work and personal life.
- With a full slide-out QWERTY keypad, FLIPSIDE’s 3.1-inch high-res HVGA display supports pinch to zoom gesturing, while the laptop-like track pad provides an alternative way to navigate with one hand while keeping your fingers off the screen.
- Users can stay connected to work with full push corporate e-mail, support for Microsoft® Exchange, unified inbox and enhanced features for IT compliance like remote wipe and password enforcement.
FLIPOUT gives Android customers something new to flip over with a unique pivot design and enhanced user experience.
- Packing the power of Android™ 2.1, FLIPOUT also has a 720 MHz processor and the latest version of MOTOBLUR, Motorola’s exclusive smartphone experience.
- Stylishly square, affordable and smart with an innovative design.
- FLIPOUT opens to reveal a full keyboard below its touch screen with a dedicated fifth row for numbers.
- Users can customize the color to match their mood with FLIPOUT’s two battery covers. Additional colors will be available for purchase.
Announced last month, the slim and pocket-able, DEFY is scratch and water resistant, as well as dust proof, equipped to withstand all that life throws your way.
- Full-touch Android device with a 3.7-inch high-resolution, scratch-resistant display that provides edge-to-edge views of your favorite Web sites, photos and videos.
- With a 5-megapixel camera and latest version of MOTOBLUR, DEFY makes it easy to capture memories at family reunions or vacations and share them via your social networks.
- Stream, store and share content with Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA) compatible devices around the home such as HDTVs, game consoles and PCs.
- CrystalTalk® PLUS intelligently filters out background noise and amplifies the users voice, eliminating the need to shout.
DROID PRO by Motorola: Combining Business-ready and Rich Personal Mobile Experiences
DROID PRO represents a new breed of easy-to-use, intuitive smartphones designed for both work and personal use. It addresses the growing desire from employers and employees for business-ready solutions with enhanced features for a richer personal mobile experience. As the first ever smartphone built on Android for business, DROID PRO is a new powerful, stronger, faster solution that meets business and consumer needs.
DROID PRO delivers speed, convenience, security, and all the productivity tools that businesses require.
- Full-push corporate email with corporate level security, unified calendar with additional work features, pre-loaded QuickOffice Mobile Suite.
- Powerful 1 GHz processor, 4GB of memory (2GB internal and 2GB removable) and a QWERTY keyboard designed for speed and convenience.
- Personal mobile experience provides PC-like browsing with Adobe® Flash® Player 10.1 on a full multi-touch 3.1 inch brilliant display – all built on Android 2.2.
- Motorola security additions including AuthenTec IPSec multi-headed VPN integration, remote wipe of device & SD card, and complex password support. Plus, device and SD card encryption will be available in early 2011.
- Capture and share content from the device’s 5-megapixel camera with auto focus and dual LED flash or DVD-quality video via DLNA connectivity to compatible devices.
- 3G Mobile Hotspot for up to five other Wi-Fi®-enabled devices/laptops.
“Motorola truly understands the greater productivity needs of both businesses and their employees beyond mobile email,” said Mark Shull, Senior Vice President of Mobile, McAfee, Inc. “McAfee Enterprise Mobility Management provides Motorola smartphone users with an advanced security solution to address corporate market demand, including the increased use of mobile productivity apps. We look forward to working with Motorola to meet these needs by collaboratively harnessing the power of the open Android platform.”
MotoSpeak 2.0™ for Three New Hands-Free Devices
Elite Series of hands-free devices - Finiti™, CommandOne™ and Roadster™ suit all of life’s conversations with an enhanced version of MotoSpeak™ that helps keep users hands-free, responsible and productive. These are the first and only hands-free devices that allow consumers to respond to texts with their voice. Motorola’s Elite Series includes the most advanced hands-free devices with premium audio, robust features and industry leading design.
MotoSpeak™ delivers the latest text-to-speech and speech-to-text technology, allowing users to have their text messages read aloud and to dictate responses. MotoSpeak also informs users who is calling and texting by announcing the callers’ names.
Beginning October 12 on Android Market™, and on select other operating system application stores shortly after, consumers using an Android 2.2 will be able to download the MotoSpeak application and sync to Finiti, CommandOne or Roadster.
- Finiti is a Bluetooth® headset designed with extreme conditions in mind, coming equipped with three microphones for optimal noise and wind cancellation. The stealth mode microphone converts vocal vibrations to speech and eliminates noise in up to 40mph winds, so users can rest assured their voice will be heard in noisy environments.
- CommandOne is equipped with CrystalTalk™ so conversations will be heard clearly, and dual-microphone noise cancellation so background noise will be blocked out. Users can remain entertained and informed while hands-free by streaming music, games and navigation directly into the headset.
- Roadster is a Bluetooth® in-car speakerphone that allows the clearest calls from your car. It blocks out background noise in the car better than other speakerphones with dual-mic noise cancellation technology. It automatically turns on when the user enters the vehicle and off when he/she leaves, ensuring a hands-free experience, while also saving battery life. Users can even answer and ignore calls with a single word.
Please visit the Motorola CTIA Enterprise & Applications Press Kit for product fact sheets and images: motorola.com/mediacenter/ctiafall2010
Motorola is known around the world for innovation in communications and is focused on advancing the way the world connects. From broadband communications infrastructure, enterprise mobility and public safety solutions to mobile and wireline digital communication devices that provide compelling experiences, Motorola is leading the next wave of innovations that enable people, enterprises and governments to be more connected and more mobile. Motorola (NYSE: MOT) had sales of US $22 billion in 2009. For more information, please visit www.motorola.com
Media Contacts (for media and analysts only):
*Projections taken from a Nielsen study published in March 2010 of current consumer smartphone purchase rates and future purchase intent. The study indicates that by the end of 2011 more smartphones than feature phones will be present in the U.S. marketplace. For more information visit www.nielsen.com
MOTOROLA, the Stylized M Logo and MOTOBLUR are trademarks or registered trademarks of Motorola Trademark Holdings, LLC. DROID is a trademark of Lucasfilm Ltd. and its related companies. Used under license. The Bluetooth trademarks are owned by their proprietor and used under license. All other product and service names are the property of their respective owners. © 2010 Motorola Mobility, Inc. All rights reserved.
Android and Android Market are trademarks of Google, Inc.